Thursday, February 18, 2010

Seeing the Whole Person

How friendly are we in East Idaho? This week I referenced a story about a Florida family who ventured to North Dakota, lured by a city's effort to attract newcomers. Once there, they found the slower pace they were looking for, but they were made to feel very unwelcome. Wanting to personalize this, I wondered how we do in East Idaho when new folks move in.

In recent weeks I've had a number of conversations with people who were unfriendly toward those who were moving in and "Californicating" Idaho. I also spoke with others who had been shunned as newcomers. Others said they've had great experiences from the get-go. Yet another said it took a while to feel a part of things, but after a year or two, he felt at home. Seems there's a spectrum.

One fairly common theme is that of religion. Some said they felt left out by the predominant faith.

I suppose this is an issue that varies from neighborhood to neighborhood and town to town.

But a couple of things occurred to me that I think deserve some thought. When anyone is part of a minority -- racial, religious, or otherwise -- a certain complex automatically and immediately develops in many people regardless of reality. A sense of opression emerges and it is assumed that finding acceptance will be a struggle. While in some cases the opression is real, I think in many cases it is not.

I've heard the awkward stories of people being asked "What ward are you in?" when they are in fact, not members of any ward. While I understand that this might make some feel unwelcome, I hope they would think more deeply. And I would also hope that members of my faith would be more thoughtful and not assume. Just remember that outnumbered is not the same as unwelcome.

Which leads me to my second and final point. Why do we take one aspect of a fellow human being's personality and allow it to overtake our entire perception of that person? A number of callers expressed their disdain for liberals who may want to move to our state. While I certainly don't relish the thought of having an influx of secular progressive thought, because it means that I have to work that much harder to either convert or defeat them politically, many people bring a wealth of experience, expertise, creativity, and wealth when they come.

A few days ago I posted a piece at Idahofallstoday.com -- analyzing three different political movements and how they fit in with our Constitutional form of government. It was clearly an opinion piece on my part, and I arrived at the conclusion that the only viable movement that is in keeping with the Constitution is the Tea Party movement. But that's beside the point.

I was immediately slammed, personally, for my thoughts. I was told that nobody wanted to hear what I had to say, that my knowledge of the Constitution couldn't get me past fifth grade, and that I was doing a lousy job of trying to be Glenn Beck.

Whoever wrote the words couldn't see past the fact that I'm a supporter of Sarah Palin's message. Because of that I became an imbecilic, untalented wannabe. While I'm sure my critics have talents and value unseen to others, it soured my appetite for trying to express a valid opinion in that particular online venue for a couple of reasons. Number one, I'm not going to waste time engaging with those who's only desire is to insult and demean. Secondly, I'm interested in having a vigorous but civil back and forth about politics today, and it was anything but civil.

How often do we do that to others? See the negative and allow it to become their whole being? I think we do it far too often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neal, can you please fix the podcast link from this 'transplant' show? it won't play on eastidahonews.com or on this site as well. thanks

The Neal Larson Show

blogspot stats