Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Revenge Vetoes

Things have suddenly gone from an irritating tiff to a spicy standoff in Boise. Governor Butch Otter on Monday vetoed two bills and held a sharp knife up to the necks of eight others, threatening to kill them too if he didn't get a bill boosting Idaho's road revenue.

Upon seeing reluctance by lawmakers to simply give in to the threat, he efficiently pounded the big red VETO stamp onto the eight bills two days before his previously stated deadline, leaving lawmakers -- not to mention the rest of us -- a little stunned.

In short, the good governor is P.O.'ed.

I like Governor Otter. I always have. He always just seemed to be "one of us." I still support him overall, because I believe he's ideologically correct and wants what's best for Idaho.

On this, though, he's wrong. From my numerous interviews with legislators through the session, I believe our roads will be ok. We have money coming from federal sources, plus the traditional tax money coming in from residents and tourists that buy their fuel in Idaho. It's not a crisis that warrants such high-stakes veto threats and ultimata.

Most I've talked with think Governor Otter has been reactive, angry, and a little juvenile the last couple of days. And these people are Otter fans.

I chalk this up to recession frustration syndrome, and my support of the Governor isn't really diminished. But perhaps it would have been better for him to have let this one go.

The Neal Larson Show

blogspot stats